Friday, July 11, 2008

I Can't Help It




Tell me this does not happen to you, and if you are a home inspector, I will not believe you. You go on vacation or some place with the family, and with out warning you find yourself inspecting the buildings you are in. Does this happen to you?, I know it does, it is something you can’t stop. Well it could just be me, but I don’t think so. I find myself enthralled by the architectural designs and the construction practices I find in historic buildings. When I think of places I have been that have intrigued me the most, I first think of one of the finest examples early Classical Revival style houses in the U.S.. This house is located just outside of Charlottesville, Va., and the third president of the United States designed it. It was constructed between 1768 and 1809, and the exterior was strongly influenced by the work of Andrea Palladio, an Italian architect from the 1500’s. Have you guessed what structure I am talking about? Okay, just in case you have not, here are some more clues; the final structure is a three-story brick building with an octagonal dome. The interior consists of over thirty differently shaped rooms, and one of the most unique clocks in the world. Yes you are correct it is Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello.
If you ever find yourself near Charlottesville, VA, do yourself a favor, and inspect this piece of history.







I hope you like the pictures from my vacation.

No comments: