Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Home Inspector Finds “Bats in the Belfry”

Home Inspector Finds “Bats in the Belfry”

Like I have said before, you never know what you are going to find in an attic or a crawl space. If you inspect houses long enough, you will have unusual discoveries. I received an email and picture from a friend and fellow Home Inspector in Jacksonville that proves this. Here is the email and the batty picture:

Al,

I thought you might like to see this. I was inspecting a two-story condo with an airshaft like structure above a first floor closet. I was in the attic and smelled a strong urine smell and heard sounds like small birds. I made my way over to the opening from the attic into the shaft and looked down, seeing a lot of dirt and what turned out to be bat guano (hence the urine or ammonia smell). When I turned to look up into the shaft, this is what I saw! I took this picture very quickly as I did not want to disturb them and have them fly into the attic where I was. The picture is not very clear as I did not take the time to zoom the lens, but you get the idea. Anyway, I'm sure this has happened to others, but it was a first for me!

Regards, Chris




I have found my share of unusual things in attics and crawl spaces, but I have never found anything like this in a condo. Chris has me beat on strange condo inspections.

Tune in tomorrow for more unusual discoveries.

No comments: