Monday, June 30, 2008

Wired




As a home inspector I have always been intrigued by the classic homes I have inspected over the years for many reasons. The detailed craftsmanship of course, but that's not the main reason. The main reason is the fact that inspecting older stock homes, you get to see the evolution of building practices from materials used and the advancement of mechanical devices.
One of the biggest advancements has been the technology that has been made possible by electricity. Think about the impact electricity has made in industry, not to mention our daily lives.
When I sit here on the computer in the nice cool air-conditioned office, or when I just fire up my Strat to relax, this was all made possible through electricity.
It is probably not normal to think about electricity, but just for fun as you go through your normal day think about what part of that day was not impacted by electricity. The plant that processed and packaged what you have for breakfast, the plant that made the car you drive to the place you work that use computers copiers telephones, are all make possible because of one thing, that's right, electricity.
Since I am on the electricity subject, I thought I would share these photos of vintage electrical devices that were sent to me.





No comments: