Monday, June 2, 2008

My First Home Inspection

Inspectors I have trained over the years often ask me if I was scared on my first inspection. I am not sure if I was always completely truthful with my answer, but let me make no bones about it, you bet you’re Sweet Aunt Minnie I was scared. I think I was more afraid of making a bad first impression then doing the actual inspection.

With that in mind, I prepared myself for my first inspection. On Uncle Norm’s recommendation, I washed my pickup and cleaned the interior and had her looking like new for the inspection. Now I needed to make myself look professional for the inspection. I put on my best kakis with such well pressed seems, that even my ex-Navy Dad would have approved of. I wore my best denim shirt with a dark blue tie I borrowed from my police officer neighbor. I polished my work boots and put my hair in a ponytail and tucked it in my shirt, hey give me a break, it was the seventies.

I arrived at the house early and started my inspection. Shortly after I started the inspection Mr. Holloway shows up, so I take a few minutes to introduce myself and thank him for the opportunity to do the inspection. I complete the inspection, and that night I wrote a two page report, and had it on Mr. Holloway’s desk the next morning.

No comments: